Contact Us

Premier sponsored Rob Guiver claimed his second win of the season at his home track Brands Hatch…only to have his season, and body, shattered just 24 hours later.

The Ducati Romford and Hyside Racing team member cut the championship lead chase on Joe Collier down to 6.5 points in the series with a sizzling performance in the rain on Saturday. He was in sensational form thrilling Eurosport TV viewers and the large Brands crowd as he powered to victory.

But sport can be a cruel mistress and the following day, Rob’s hopes of a second victory came crashing down, literally, after his bike was hit from behind during the warm-up lap. He was sent sprawling across the track and suffered an appalling set of injuries, including two suspected broken hands and a one foot, as a second machine careered into him after unseating its own rider.

Rob was taken to hospital where he underwent immediate surgery for his injuries which have ended his season. Fingers crossed that he can make a full recovery and return to the track.

How things were different for Rob on the Saturday. He lined-up at the front of the grid at Brands Hatch for the race after scoring his first pole of the season during qualifying on Friday.

The action was initially delayed as rain started to fall and a wet race was declared with the distance reduced from 12 laps to eight.

Railton started strong and took the lead while pole-sitter Guiver’s poor start saw him drop all the way down to seventh.

The Rainham-based racer was not to be outdone and by the time the third lap started he had made it back up to fifth spot.

He went on to pass Jon Waghorn for fourth before passing championship leader Collier on the 4th lap to take 3rd position.

Guiver was on a charge in the wet conditions, getting the better of Atkinson for second and had Railton in his sights who had led the entire race so far.

It wasn’t long before he got the better of Railton to take the race lead.

As the race moved into its last quarter the rain was coming down heavily, bringing out the red flag and ending the race prematurely.

Guiver claimed his second win of the season, with Railton and Atkinson finishing in second and third respectively.

“I’m lost for words,” he said.

“The last 5 years in the wet I’ve just had no confidence in the rain at all and it was the same again sitting on the grid waiting to go.

“I just thought I’m going to drop back and back and back, but I just felt so comfortable.

“Every slide I felt good, even when I’d lost it and my feet were off the peg I still felt comfortable and I could push.

“I was just smiling and I was thinking to myself what’s going on, I’ve just taken the lead of the race.

“During the last two laps the rain was getting really heavy so it was a good call to stop it.

“I’m absolutely over the moon.”

The contrasting fortunes of bike racing were sadly brought home to us all with Rob’s sickening crash the following day. Everyone at Premier wishes him a speedy recovery. Good luck, pal.

Share This Story: